What’s the trick to cooking a spaghetti carbonara successfully? You’ve to beat the egg mixture instantly into the pasta which ought to be sufficiently hot to cook the egg well and to create a sauce. But not so hot, which makes the egg curdle.
A few people add cream to their carbonara. It is not necessary, but you can absolutely do this if you like the sauce creamier for your pasta.
Also, this recipe is ideal for those who want to avoid meat in their meal for any reason. Here, Smoked cheddar will do the work of eliminated meat to give an authentic taste to spaghetti carbonara. Just toss it with some veggies, and your spaghetti is good to eat.
Tender pasta tossed in a delicious sauce with tangy sundried tomatoes and spinach. The heat from the creamy sauce adds flavor to the pasta making for a quick and sumptuous meal!
Here we go!
Veggie Spaghetti Carbonara
- 450g spaghetti
- 7 tbsp double cream
- 100g smoked cheddar, grated
- One garlic clove, crushed
- Three free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g/3½oz baby spinach
- 60g sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
Step 1 Boil Spaghetti
- Add water and salt in a large pot and bring it to the boil. When boiled, add the spaghetti and cook as per the instructions on its packet.
- When boiled, drain the spaghetti in a large sieve. Keep aside.
Step 2 Prepare The Sauce
- In the meantime, stir the cream and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring it to a simmer.
- Then add the smoked cheddar and let it melt over low flame. Note: You may require to stir it quickly to form a smooth mix.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to slightly cool.
- Now you have to add the beaten egg to the cheese sauce. Remember to add a small portion of beaten eggs at a time, also, stir continually till each addition is smoothly combined. Note: In case you see, there are some lumps of cheese, do not bother about it.
- Finally, season the egg and cheese mixture with freshly ground black pepper.
Step 3 Cook The Pasta
- Now put the pan over the heat and add the spinach leaves. Stir the spinach until it softens, you can sprinkle some water if spinach starts to stick.
- Now add the spaghetti into the blanched spinach.
- Further, add the prepared cheese sauce on top of the spaghetti and spinach.
- Also, put the sun-dried tomatoes and parsley in the pan.
- Toss everything well until you see that the spaghetti is thoroughly coated into the creamy sauce.
- Serve hot garnished with grated Parmesan cheese. (Tip: Optionally you also have it with a crisp green salad to enjoy as a perfect lunch meal.)
Note: Preparing carbonara appropriately can need some practice. But do not despair on cooking your carbonara sauce for the very first time. But by following the above-given directions, you will be able to make a perfect spaghetti carbonara meal and sauce, which is not lumpy.